Organization: United States Solar Corporation (“US Solar”)
Position Type: Part-time
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Employer Description: US Solar is a developer and owner/operator of solar projects, specializing in community solar markets.
US Solar is seeking an Intern to join our growing Site Selection team. This position will be located out of our Minneapolis office. The GIS Intern will perform Geographic Information Systems (GIS) tasks supporting the Site Selection team’s work. The individual must be able to handle GIS related tasks and be detail oriented. This individual will work in a fluid environment and communicate with co-workers and external parties. The successful applicant will need the skills to conduct GIS tasks including creating, updating, editing, and reviewing spatial and tabular datasets. The individual must be a critical thinker and problem solver who can work independently.
- Utilize Google Earth to capture, create, edit, and manage geospatial data.
- Use appropriate software (e.g., MS Excel, MS Access, etc.) to perform tabular data analysis.
- Research and compile data for special studies, environmental reports, and internal memos.
- Assist in the production of packets for permitting applications.
- Perform fieldwork studies in conjunction with projects or ordinances.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Pursuing Bachelor’s degree.
- Interest and/or experience in Geography and GIS.
- Interest and/or experience in utilities.
- Interest and/or experience in Solar and renewable energy.
- Exposure to Esri ArcGIS and ArcGIS Online.
- Outstanding writing, communication, and teaming skills with colleagues and clients.
- Efficient manager of workflows, including planning, priority setting, coordination, and execution.
- Bachelor’s degree with a strong academic record in Geography, GIS, or a related field of study.
- Proficiency in one or more GIS software platforms.
- Proficiency in analysis using Excel, Python, SPSS, R, and/or SQL.
- Proficiency in relational databases (Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL).
Please email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email subject should read “GIS Intern”.