Organization: United States Solar Corporation (“US Solar”)
Position Type: Full-time
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Employer Description: US Solar is a developer and owner/operator of solar projects, specializing in community solar markets.
United States Solar Corporation (US Solar) is seeking a motivated candidate for a high-profile project management position in the solar energy industry. As the face of US Solar to utilities, this position balances external communication with internal ownership of a portfolio of projects between 1 – 20 MWAC across multiple states. An effective candidate will demonstrate detailed organization, a desire to solve problems without prompting, and an ability to work with others across multiple internal teams.
Essential Duties Include:
- Prepare application materials related to the interconnection and sale of solar-generated electricity to utility companies and municipalities across the country. Manage US Solar’s grid interconnection activities for specific US projects.
- Review and catalog compliance requirements under power purchase agreements, interconnection agreements and renewable energy certificate sales contracts
- Manage timelines and deliverables with deadlines using internal tools to ensure that projects stay compliant with utility procedures
- Assemble internal and external resources to evaluate study results and technical feedback so that the fastest and most cost-effective configurations can be pursued
- Communicate verbally and in writing internally to team members and externally to utility contacts
- Travel as needed to visit utility offices, project sites, and other US Solar offices
- Advise on portfolio investment strategy by providing opinion on project interconnection costs, risks and timelines.
- Manage a team of subject matter experts and/or outside consultants to deliver interconnections on time and on budget, coordinating with development, operations, and construction teams.
- Participate in and/or lead negotiations with utilities, RTOs and other interconnecting entities.
- Identify marketing opportunities as they present themselves and channel to appropriate individuals within the company.
- Analyze various RTO grids and other electrical systems and identify locations with low cost interconnection potential.
- Negotiate consulting agreements and manage consultants.
- Ensure data rooms and other control documents and are populated and organized in accordance with company naming nomenclature and standards.
- Support Executive and Finance Teams during investor due diligence process
- Provide regular updates to Executive Team and promptly raise concerns when they become apparent
- Provide a smooth transition to the operations team as projects progress to construction. Provide post-development support to the operations team as necessary.
- Provide medium voltage design expertise to the electrical design team, creating construction drawings and specifications.
- Create and/or manage preliminary conceptual design documents to support customer interconnection applications.
- Coordinate with other disciplines including architects, engineers, developers, utilities and contractors.
- Perform preliminary production analysis and electrical calculations and studies such as short circuit, load flow calculations and voltage drop.
- Represent US Solar during utility scoping meetings, results meetings and final interconnection agreement negotiations
- Manage technical data for interconnection positions
- Experience in conducting grid integration and transmission system reliability studies as per relevant Independent System Operator (ISO) or Regional Transmission Organization (RTO) standards
- Knowledge of the North American Electric Power System including FERC wholesale interconnection standards and tariffs and local Public Utility Commission retail interconnection standards and interconnection handbooks
- Employee may be provided with additional responsibilities based on mutual agreement of both Employee and Employer.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Knowledge of NEC, NESC codes and RUS standards
- Knowledge of relevant IEEE and ANSI standards.
- Associates Degree or Technical School Certificate in Electrical Design, or other related degree
- Approximately 4-6 years of experience in electric power design with at least 2 years designing medium voltage electrical distribution systems.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD.
- Working knowledge and ability to read construction drawings and specifications.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Windows/Office products.
- Professional appearance with excellent written and verbal communications skills, including ability to write detailed technical reports.
- Must have a strong work ethic along with a positive attitude.
- Must be a supportive team member, able to work in a collaborative environment
- Strong work ethic and ability to self-start in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organization, communication skills and attention to detail
- Flexibility to modify course in real-time in response to fluid facts and circumstances
- Ability to work with little supervision and to seek help when needed
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team and interact daily with a variety of groups: development, finance, legal, and engineering, procurement and construction
- Pertinent utility, energy, regulatory or project management experience is a plus
Please email cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Email subject should read “Utility and Interconnection Manager”.